On February 1st, the Burmese military arrested Myanmar's top leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, along with several senior leaders from her party, the National League for Democracy (NLD). These actions were launched under the pretext of redressing fraud from the November 2020 general election which the NLD won in a landslide. The military has declared a one-year state of emergency and that they would govern the country during this time. Widely recognized as a coup, protests have sprung up around the country with many being met with harsh crackdowns from security forces. Many civil society leaders, students, activists, and even government workers have been arrested and detained without cause. The public's access to the Internet has also been restricted in the military's attempt to prevent coordination between opposition forces and control the flow of information.
Please join IGE in praying for the following:
- Pray for God's protection over those protesting the coup and their families.
- Pray that those who have been detained including elected officials, religious leaders, NLD leaders, students, and others involved in peaceful protests would be released.
- Pray that the Burmese military would return political power back to the people of Myanmar.
- Pray for the safety and freedom of IGE's Myanmar partners.
- Pray that the spiritual forces of evil would be broken and defeated. Pray for God's peace, justice, and righteousness to be established in Myanmar.