Earlier this month, Secretary of State Michael Pompeo removed Uzbekistan from the U.S. State Department’s “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC) list due to the improving religious freedom situation in the country. A few months prior, IGE was privileged to lead a civil society delegation to Tashkent to meet with local religious leaders and institutions and sign a MOU with the government to collaborate on advancing religious freedom in the country.
As the first step of the MOU, the embassy and IGE will hold a panel discussion at the National Press Club on “Uzbekistan: An Emerging Model for the Muslim World—Marking Uzbekistan’s Progress in Advancing Religious Freedom.”
- Date: Thursday, December 20, 2018
- Time: 9:00-11:00 AM
- Location: The National Press Club, 529 14th Street NW, Washington, DC 20045
- H.E. Javlon Vakhabov, Ambassador of Uzbekistan to the United States
- Mr. Knox Thames, U.S. Special Advisor for Religious Minorities, U.S. Department of State
- Mr. James Chen, Vice President of Global Operations, Institute for Global Engagement
- Dr. Chris Seiple, President Emeritus, Institute for Global Engagement
Please RSVP to: Mr. Amir Sultanov at email@example.com. Please include first name, last name, and affiliation.