A New Framework for Promoting Religious Freedom in China (Task Force Report)
This report outlines 10 principles that should guide an approach toward constructive engagement.
- Integrate freedom of religion and belief with other human rights and rule of law initiatives.
- Build consensus and cooperation among outside actors.
- Support indigenous problem-solving.
- Promote an understanding of the positive synergy linking religious freedom, sustainable economic development, and a modern society.
- Address the fears of the Chinese government regarding religious extremism as a threat to social stability and national security.
- Focus on provincial and local, as well as central actors.
- Work in cooperation with the Chinese Diaspora.
- Coordinate regional and international approaches around international norms.
- Focus attention on improvements at the local level in China.
- Provide forums for planning.
The report also offers recommendations for key actors across all major sectors.
See also the article at The Review of Faith of Faith & International Affairs derived from this report.